Thomas H. Ramsay
Contact us today at 610-235-4000 or online to schedule a consultation.
Thomas H. Ramsay
Mr. Ramsay graduated from the Lansdowne-Aldan High School in Delaware County, PA in 1970 and entered West Chester University that same year. While there, Mr. Ramsay earned academic honors, was a Dean’s list student and was awarded his Bachelor of Arts for studies in Psychology and Business Law in 1975. During his final year, Mr. Ramsay’s Advanced Economics and Business Law professor, Dr. Andrew W. Green, Esquire, recommended his admission to the Delaware Law School of Widener College. Mr. Ramsay entered Law School in 1975 and received his Juris Doctorate degree in 1979. During his first year of law school, Mr. Ramsay was elected class representative for the Delaware Law School of Widener College’s 1979 graduating class. Mr. Ramsay served as class representative for the graduating class of 1979 throughout his law school career and received a certificate of appreciation for meritorious service in that capacity on May 19, 1979.
In September, 1977, while attending law school at night, Mr. Ramsay became employed as a preliminary hearing advocate with the Chester County District Attorney’s Office under District Attorney William H. Lamb, Esquire. Mr. Ramsay passed the bar examination in 1980 and joined the Chester County District Attorney’s Office as an Assistant District Attorney and immediately began conducting jury trials in misdemeanor and felony criminal prosecutions. As a result of his trial skills, Mr. Ramsay was promoted to Deputy District Attorney in 1983.
Mr. Ramsay left the District Attorney’s office in 1985 and joined a county law firm situated in Paoli. His practice centered on substantive criminal defense, serious personal injury and family law matters. Mr. Ramsay was also actively involved in County and State Republication Party politics as a committeeman for Westtown Township and as Chairman of the Chester County Republican Party 1984 reelection campaign. In 1985, former President Judge Leonard Sugarman appointed Mr. Ramsay as Conflict Counsel for the County of Chester representing individuals charged with serious felony offenses. While serving as Conflict Counsel, Mr. Ramsay defended a death penalty homicide case in a three week jury trial before the Honorable Lawrence E. Wood. On January 1, 1990, Mr. Ramsay left his Paoli law firm to form Long & Ramsay, P.C. with his friend and colleague from the Chester County District Attorney’s Office, Stephen M. Long, Esquire.
In 1997, Mr. Ramsay enjoyed the distinct honor of being appointed as a Barrister in the Chester County Honorable John F. Stively, Jr. American Inn of Court. Membership is reserved for a select group of attorneys chosen by their colleagues for their outstanding trial and litigation skills. Mr. Ramsay is a member in good standing of the Chester County and Pennsylvania Bar Associations and has been admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Messrs. Ramsay and Long practiced together at Long and Ramsay P.C. in Lionville, PA for approximately 22 years before Mr. Ramsay left that firm to form Ramsay & Ramsay P.C. with his daughter, Marissa. Marissa graduated at the top of her class at the Delaware Law School of Widener University while serving as the Law Review Business Editor during her second and third year there. Mr. Ramsay is very proud of his daughter’s stellar academic achievements in law school and enjoys practicing law with her.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Wrongful Death and Personal Injury
- Commercial Transactions
- Divorce and Family Law
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware
- Juris Doctorate – 1979
- Honors: Class Representative for the Graduating Class of 1979
- Honors: Certificate of Appreciation for Meritorious Service, May 19, 1979
- West Chester University
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts – 1975
- Honors: Academic Honors
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Major: Psychology
- Major: Business Law
Past Employment Positions
- Chester County District Attorney’s Office under District Attorney William H. Lamb, Esquire, Preliminary Hearing Advocate
- Chester County District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney
- Pennsylvania bar association
- Chester County bar association
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeal for the Third Circuit
- Barrister of The American Inns of Court Foundation
- American Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- 2009: Main Line Today – Pennsylvania’s Top Lawyers
- 2010: Lexis Nexis – BV Distinguished Rating- Very high rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- 2011: Lexis Nexis – BV Distinguished Rating- Very high rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- 2011: Main Line Today – Pennsylvania’s Top Lawyers
- 2011: Main Line Today – Pennsylvania’s Top Criminal Defense Lawyers
- 2013: Main Line Today – Pennsylvania’s Top Lawyers
- 2014: Main Line Today – Pennsylvania’s Top Lawyers
- 2015: The Legal Network – Top Lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Lead Counsel Rating in Criminal Law – State Felony & Misdemeanor
- Avvo Superb Rating – Top Attorney: Criminal Defense
- Avvo Superb Rating – Top Attorney: Family Law
- Avvo Superb Rating – Top Attorney: Divorce
- Avvo Superb Rating – Top Attorney: Personal Injury